Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Who pays the bills, tell me that

So during my routine of rounding up my children from school today I was listening to talk radio, an addiction that I try fulfill as often as I can. One of the presidential candidates (for now no naming names :}) was holding a rally and I have a question.

How are you (us) planning on paying for this...

"I will also create the jobs of the future by transforming our energy economy. We’ll tap our natural gas reserves, invest in clean coal technology, and find ways to safely harness nuclear power. I’ll help our auto companies re-tool, so that the fuel-efficient cars of the future are built right here in America. I’ll make it easier for the American people to afford these new cars. And I’ll invest 150 billion dollars over the next decade in affordable, renewable sources of energy – wind power and solar power and the next generation of biofuels; an investment that will lead to new industries and five million new jobs that pay well and can’t ever be outsourced

And now is the time to finally meet our moral obligation to provide every child a world-class education, because it will take nothing less to compete in the global economy. I’ll recruit an army of new teachers, and pay them higher salaries and give them more support. But in exchange, I will ask for higher standards and more accountability. And we will keep our promise to every young American – if you commit to serving your community or your country, we will make sure you can afford a college education."


I fully agree that all of these issues are vitally important and indeed need reform and/or attention. Again I ask who pays for these increases. I'm not naive enough to think that either candidate is going to run on "no more taxes" idealism but what is the point of whipping up the crowd to near frenzied state? This by the way is another pet peeve, the clapping, whopping and hollering after each and ever statement.


On a side note of my soap box I just had an interesting phone call with a dear friend in Georgia who sat for nearly 20 minutes in a line at a gas station to get gas. Apparently GA is running out of gas?? What?? Is this really a result of Hurricane Ike and if so why is not happening in other states? I did find stories of shortages in TN and NC, odd so few states affected.

That is all for now, hope to post a few pics of my afghan progress later. A much lighter post to be sure.

~dani

ps
Tracie's beau is waiting to hear news on a new job, please be thinking of John :) Good luck John we're praying for ya!!

No comments: